Saturday, January 17, 2009

Okay--Okay. You Convinced Me!


Cat, Cate, Kathy et al--you've convinced another K-girl to join up. Here's my first post--and picture. I shall share with you (and others) the joys of my weaving and fiber world. Thanks for the encouragement and friendship you have shown to me over the years. And, thanks for teaching your once-upon-a-time teacher so much.

So, the first picture you see to the left is my (so far) signature woven work of Loom-Controlled Shibori/Traditional Shibori that I call "Trellis and Tekumo." You've heard me go on (and on) about my weaving technique, I'm sure, but just in case you've forgotten, I'll be the good teacher and do a little review.

Traditional Shibori--a dye technique used by many cultures--made high art by the Japanese. Shibori roughly translates "to press, squeeze or wring" in other words--a sophisticated tye-dye. Loom-Controlled Shibori--a weaving technique developed by Catherine Ellis. Instead of taking finished fabric and stitching or tying, while you weave you throw the picks of pattern that you will eventually gather up to resist the dye. So, you end up with a resist-dye of the woven pattern that you choose. Cool, huh?

I combine the Woven and Traditional Shibori for my hand loomed work--and I love it. I always have a loom going with some sort of Shibori work or I do Traditional Shibori on silk and sew with that.

Why did I call this piece "Trellis and Tekumo" you ask? My inspiration came from a traditional shibori piece that came from Japan--that had nui-shibori (stitched lines) and all these star-burst like patterns, which I did a little research to discover that the Japanese called Tekumo. This word translates to our language as spider webs. So, I thought the Woven Shibori stitch lines looked like a garden trellis and I imagined spiders weaving their webs (tekumo) in and around the trellis--hence "Trellis and Tekumo."

Okay--enough for now, you have been very patient with me!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! Great post. Of course I love your profile picture. Can't wait to read more of your woven wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always thought that technique was so interesting and inventive! i'm only doing shibori dyeing with no intention of adding weaving but i'm happy to see someone working at it. i'm wondering if i might be able to break away and take a look at your show-hope so! you sound like a good teacher!
    (i'm working at being a better one myself)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting post. I didn't know there was such a think as weaving shibori. I look forward to learning more from your blog.

    ReplyDelete